Sunday, January 10, 2010

Entry #1

This is an experiment.

My life is changing very rapidly, and will continue to do so for the next good while. I figured the best way of wrapping my head around it all was the keep a blog. It's not really for others to read as much as for me to have this in a place i know cannot be lost.

It is 10:37pm Sunday, January 10th 2010. I am 22 years old and beginning my last semester of undergraduate school tomorrow. I am receiving my degree in Philosophy with a minor in Math. I have worked for a program called Advancement Via Individual Determination for the past 4 years as the Middle School Tutor Leader. I have been dating a man named Joel Brown since November 23 2008. He is a wonderful man and i love him dearly.

Here i sit thinking about what my life will be like tomorrow, in May when i graduate, in August and then this time next year and unfortunately i can't be sure of any of it. I keep getting asked,'what are you going to do after you graduate.' I'll give them some collection of phrases i've rehearsed ( and some ideas that i've seriously considered), but honestly i have no idea. I've never been this frustrated about anything. So far i have a very incomplete plan.

I have applied for a exchange program for teaching in Japan. It's called the Japanese Exchange and Teaching program. That means i could possibly be living in Japan this time next year! However, it's up in the air; i won't know anything until late April! Thiss is annoying becasue it will be the single most dramatic change i've ever experienced and i can't count on it until i've already almost graduated. I don;t want to put all my eggs in one basket but it kind of prevents me from doing anything else. I cried for two weeks when i realized i would have to break up with Joel, and felt dumb the whole time because it's not even certain.

The backup plan is to apply to Western for a Masters in Counseling. I hope to work with middle or high school students and help them prepare for whatever is next in their lives (work, more school, etc). Seems like a good idea, but i don't know. Keeping this blog will help me keep all these ideas in check i hope. ...Who knows eh?

I figure good goal for the next semester will be to try to lose some weight and get healthy. New life, new body. But, it's hard, it is really hard. I've heard keeping a journal help (blog!) and i got a book that looked helpful so i'll give that a try. I hate weight loss recipes, they are usually too involved for me. I need simple recipes...i'm no chef. My schedule has a lot of breaks in it so i'm hoping to use one as an opportunity to run a mile, i'm just not sure when would be the best choice. I could do it int he morning before class, but i don't want to wake up earlier than i have to. I could do it after that class, or after the next class or before i go home, but if i do it before i go home it will have to be at 9pm. That seems a little late, but at least i could go home smelly and take a shower here. But, yes you read that correctly, i will be at school on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am to 9pm...gross. What can you do?

Well, there's a good starting point. Not sure when i will write again, but soon i hope!

Seacrest out! HA!

1 comment: